17 February 2008

Newarkista

I've lived and worked in Newark for about a decade. I hope to live here for an extended time beyond - I'm a faculty member at UD who loves the academic lifestyle as well as many aspects of my adopted hometown. This blog is intended to be a forum for the discussion of issues in Newark and, particularly, ways to improve Newark. The recent trends in Newark, particularly among the police and city council, are worrisome for those of us interested broadly in the quality of life in Newark. In my view, the quality of life in Newark depends on a thriving walking-oriented community. Thus, I have a strong interest in a broadly thriving Main Street that caters to the full community. My Newark loves (outside my university community) include the following: (a) bars: Deer Park, Grotto's, Iron Hill, East End Cafe, and Timothy's; (b) restaurants: Caffe Gelato, Iron Hill, Home Grown, Saigon, Deer Park, Margherita's Pizza, Number One Chinese, Santa Fé Grill, and Ali Baba; (c) record stores: crap, Rainbow is all that is left; (d) coffee: BrewHaHa, Brewed Awakenings. I actively avoid Dunkin Donuts (except late night), Panera, and Central Perk.

I'm distressed by developments that have made Main Street less thriving over the last few years. These developments include (foremost) closing of the Stone Balloon; increasing common muggings and other personal crime; excessive policing focused on alcoholic beverage violations and "speeding", and a complete lack of focus on the personal crimes (e.g. the muggings) that critically affect quality of life; the loss of Bert's Record Store; the closing of Shaggy's by fiat of the city council/alcoholic beverage commission; and the effective closing of Italian Bistro (not a great restaurant, but still) due to a lack of providing a liquor license. Each of these issues will be discussed more in the future. This blog certainly will include a voicing of my displeasure in these short-sighted developments!

No comments: